MapleStory 2 – Supporters’ Day!
Today was MapleStory 2 Supporters’ Day! They held a conference for people chosen as Supporters with a lot of new information about the game! There was also a lot of swanky stuff like finger foods and free merchandise haha. Anyways, I’ll be going over the information with a lot of pictures, and there’s a video of the conference itself if you want to watch that.
EDIT: A lot of high quality screenshots have been released so I have updated my post!
MapleStory 2 is a unique experience with its block world, dynamic action, and easy customization, along with several minigames such as creating your own house or dungeon.
MapleStory and MapleStory 2 are completely different games, you will not be able to move items or content between them. MapleStory 2 will take place in MapleStory’s past, before the Black Mage and his story.
They chose to use a ‘block’ environment because it made it simple to create colourful backgrounds, it was easy to standardize jump height and terrain, and they wanted to try something new. The first CBT is scheduled to be in the second half of 2014 but it will be open only to supporters.
Towns like Lith Harbor, Kerning City, Henesys, Perion, and Ellinia will appear in MapleStory 2! I think the 3D really improved on some towns, like in Kerning City you can now actually see the high rise buildings and construction.
There will of course be new areas to explore, in addition to existing towns!
The taxi system will also return, giving you an easy way to move from town to town.
Here is the new user interface! Your HP and MP will be displayed as a hexagon in the bottom centre, with your name and level below it. Around it are your hotkeys, and in the bottom right are the menu icons. I think it looks a little bit similar to MapleStory’s beta UI haha.
In MapleStory 2, you start as a beginner and go straight into one of eight jobs. Although they are classified as 4 groups (warrior, magician, archer, rogue), you do not get a ‘general’ advancement to those specifications.
- Knights are appointed to the Royal Guard at Tria Palace. Their instructors are Empress Ereb and the Chief Guards, they advance at Tria.
- Berserkers are warriors recognized by the tribes of Perion. Their instructor is Heart of the Red Wolf and they advance at Perion.
- Priests are ministers appointed to Tria Palace. Their instructors are Empress Ereb and the Archbishop, they advance at Tria.
- Wizards learn magic with the help of the fairies at Ellinia. Their instructors are the Great Magician Asimov and the fairy Anos, they advance at Ellinia.
- Rangers join the Green Hood vigilantes in Henesys (with a quest in Perion to tame an eagle). Their instructor is Oskhal at Henesys.
- Heavy Gunners are mercenaries hired by scientists. Their instructors are scientists in Kerning City and they advance in the Talisker area.
- Thieves are bandits in Kerning City alleyways. Their instructors are Jonathan Button and other alley bandits. They advance in Kerning City alleyways.
- Assassins are weapons of the organization Dark Wind. Their instructors are other Dark Wind operatives and they advance in Kerning City.
There is a large focus on user generated content in this game. You can design your own costume, buy and sell land, live together in an apartment with other players, or build your own house and decorate it. You can even create your own dungeons and minigames to play with others!
There are many different parts of your character which you can customize. You can change your character’s hair length, what they are wearing. You can also change the colour of almost any item at will, to have a unique character.
There will be mannequins to put clothes on, which you can then use to wear an entire outfit automatically. Items can be produced manually, so you can even make things such as matching guild costumes.
You will be able to climb walls now, in addition to ladders and ropes. Due to the 3D environment, you will be able to walk through other characters, to avoid clipping and blocking.
There will be PvP in MapleStory 2. You can pick up and use objects in the map as weapons!
There will be a large variety of content, including trophies, flying, and camera modes.
Of course, there will still be hunting monsters! MapleStory 2’s fighting system will be more dynamic than MapleStory, so you can use a variety of skills while defeating monsters.
MapleStory 2 has boss monsters which appear while adventuring. Such battles require strategy and the need to move around while attacking. New bosses include Baphomet, Devlin, Urza, the Last Bajar, and Griffon.
But don’t worry! MapleStory bosses will make an appearance as well, such as Zakum, Papulatus, and… Balrog?!
It’s still MapleStory though, so if you want to just goof off, ride some sheep with your friends, hang out in the air with balloons, go ahead!
Here are the videos of the conference, thanks to Spadow for uploading them! This one goes over the different classes in MapleStory 2. You can even see in-game footage of some classes as well as PvP near the end.
This video shows MapleStory 2’s immense customization! You can change almost anything about your character, take pictures and place them in-game, and more! This one also shows the new building system, and mannequins.
This one shows off a lot of the bosses I mentioned, and gameplay of players fighting them.
The final video talks about MapleStory 2’s world. It shows a lot of the towns in-game as well as NPCs and monsters!