MapleStory 2 – Alpha Test Begins!
Today marks the first day of the Alpha test for MapleStory 2! A lot of users have been posting screenshots and videos, which is all I can share with you since I didn’t get in myself. Still, there’s a lot of information and this game looks really good in my opinion!
Check past the cut for information about the UI, various game features, and the job skills!
There’s a ton of stuff I want to talk about so let’s get straight to it! Just a reminder that there was also a lot of information in my previous post, so check that out too!
The story line of MapleStory 2 focuses on the Lapenta, a place where great evil was sealed away. Protect the Lapenta in order to keep this evil out of Maple World!
Remember to press CC to see the subtitles!
The tutorial of MapleStory 2 explains all the new concepts used in this game, you can watch it for a quick overview of how the game plays.
The NPCs in this game all have artwork and voice acting, so its much more interactive than MapleStory.
Let’s talk about the UI first. At the bottom you’ll see two chat windows, the first is for ‘battle messages’ such as mesos and items you have picked up. The second is the regular chat window for talking to other players.
Then there are you skills and item hotkeys, and in the middle is your HP and SP (in the form of a hexagon). Below those is your EP bar, which is used for action skills. At the bottom of the screen, going across the entire way is your EXP bar. On the right side is your character and all the menu items like inventory, world map, settings, etc.
You can open the character information window to see information at a glance. It shows all your equipment, stats, when you started your character, your home, your level and job, and your profile image (which you can change).
At the top right of the map is the minimap, and right below it is the quest helper window. At hte top left is the time and your currently held mesos.
The inventory is a bit different now. It’s split into three parts, the first is the Equip section which of course holds all your equipment. The second is the Construct section, which holds things like furniture and decorations for your home. The final one is the Etc section, which holds monster drops, potions, and basically anything that doesn’t fit in the first two.
You can make your character do a ton of dynamic actions with the F keys, they’re like the faces from MapleStory except your character moves their entire body! Some are really funny haha.
Here’s the friends list, where you can see your friends, their current level and job, their status message, and also their home.
Here’s the skill window! All the skills are encased is crystallized hexagons, and are unlocked after a certain level. To level up the skills, you need to collect Crystal Fragments (seen at the bottom). The skills are separated into Active, Passive, and Action skills.
The world map is huuuuge, and it shows every map! I think the greyed out areas are places you have not been to yet.
There’s a letter system where you can write and send letters to other users.
The quest window is very similar to the original games, with in progress and completed quests and a small description along with what is required to complete the quest.
Here is the market where users can sell items to other users! As you can see, a lot of the items are customized items that other users have created, I’m excited to see the amazing variety of equipment!
Speaking of which, here’s a short video that shows how easy it is to make your own items! They literally use Paint for this, so I’m sure some people will be able to do much better with other programs.
There’s a folder in the MapleStory 2 directory for putting in these custom sets, although I’m wondering how they’ll patrol users with… inappropriate clothing haha.
The game also has a new Trophy system. If you guys have played Pokemon Black or White, this system is very similar to the medals that were given out in that game. There’s so many different ones, such as for battle or for adventuring, like walking a certain amount or killing certain monsters. I want to collect them all!
Another big part of MapleStory 2 is the building system! You can go around Maple World, looking for the perfect place to put your home! Some places are much more expensive than others however. It might be easier for you to just buy an apartment with other users~
There’s something called the Happy Spin, where you can spin the wheel and get special equipment! Those girls are a bit… provocative haha, I think in-game they’re just called Bunny Girls.
Like I mentioned before, when you die in this game you can wait for another user to destroy the tombstone that falls to revive you. However, they must do it fast or else you’ll be teleported back to town. If you are revived, there will be a penalty taken from your HP and SP (in this screenshot it says it will take 15% of your max HP and SP for a certain period of time).
There’s also a lot of treasure chests strewn about, explore Maple World and find special goodies!
In addition to the bosses mentioned beforehand, older ones such as Stumpy and Zombie Mushmom, as well as new ones such as Marionette join the battle! Fight them with your friends for big rewards!
Here’s a video of some users fighting Urza, it’s a bit sped up and the person that recorded it obviously doesn’t have that great of a computer, but it’s fun to see you’ll have to work hard to dodge boss attacks.
The Royal Guard, under the leadership of the Prime Minister Cal, protect Tria Palace and the area around it and act as guardians to the royal family. They are known for their incredible loyalty, chivalrous spirit, and excellent swordsmanship. The Royal Guard’s cardinal rule is to protect Ereb, it is of utmost importance to keep her safe from those who threaten her.
The Royal Guard’s elite Knights are strong warriors who defend their allies with a Long Sword and Shield. Their shields and armour, made with the lastest technology, is a collaboration between Tria and Perion. They are smelted by a skillful artisan from Tria using the finest minerals found in the nearby lava region. They are not only famous for their durability but also for their beautiful design.
Weapon: Longsword (right hand), Shield (left hand)
Attributes: Physical, Holy
Stats: STR, weapon attack, defense
- Cross Swing [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Deals 25% damage 2 times on up to 5 enemies. If you hit an enemy successfully, heal 5 SP.
- Tornado Slash [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Consumes 20 SP and swings your longsword around you, hitting up to 8 enemies for 65% damage 2 times. Enemies hit are pulled towards you slightly.
- Throwing Shield [required level: 12]
- Level 1: Consumes 10 SP and throwns a shield at an enemy within 9m, dealing 75% damage and decreasing their defense by 15% for 10 seconds. After hitting an enemy, the shield will bounce to other enemies up to 2 times.
- Charge [required level: 14]
- Level 1: Consumes 2 EP and rushes forward 3m. Up to 5 enemies within 2m will be hit, dealing 55% damage. After using the skill, there is a 20% chance to increase your shield’s defense by 15% for 3 seconds.
- Shield Wall [required level: 15]
- Level 1: For 10 seconds, increase your shield’s strength in 9 blocks around you. While in this area, you and your party members will take 50% reduced physical damage.
- Holy Strike [required level: 17]
- Level 1: Consumes 40 SP and infuses your sword with a holy aura, hitting up to 8 enemies 6m in front of you, dealing 280% damage. Enemies hit will have a 20% chance to be immobilized for 2 seconds.
- Piercing Blade [required level: 20]
- Level 1: Consumes 10 SP and hits 5 enemies around you with your shield for 60% damage with a 30% chance to stunning them for 1.5 seconds. Pressing the key again will consume 5 SP and stabs your longsword forward 3m for an additional 180% damage.
- Trumpet of March [required level: 23]
- Level 1: Blow a horn for you and up to 5 party members within 3m, increasing your STR and attack speed by 30% for 10 seconds. Cooldown: 180 seconds.
Since ancient times, Ellinia’s fairies have stayed deep in the woods, creating their own world away from humans. But suddenly, the world was thrown into severe chaos and in need of their power. They opened their door slightly, and began to carefully accept adventurers who were interested in their ancient knowledge.
Humans who have acquired knowledge with the help of the fairies are referred to as Wizards. They throw themselves in their studies due to their desire to learn everything about the world. However, some get so wrapped up in it that they disregard everything and everyone else in the world.
Attributes: Fire, Ice, Lightning
Stats: INT, magic attack, attack speed
- Magic Claw [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Hit up to 3 enemies 8m in front of you with the power of magic for 20% damage 2 times. If you hit an enemy successfully, heal 5 SP.
- Chain Lightning [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Consumes 12 SP. Hit up to 8 enemies 7.5m in front of you with the power of lightning, dealing 70% damage. Holding down the skill key will continue the attack.
- Frost Nova [required level: 12]
- Level 1: Consumes 10 SP. Create a cold frost, hitting up to 8 enemies 8m in front of you for 75% ice damage and lowering their movement speed by 50% for 3 seconds.
- Teleport [required level: 14]
- Level 1: Consumes 2 EP to teleport 3m forward.
- Energy Wave [required level: 15]
- Level 1: Consumes 40 SP. Create a magic explosion, hitting up to 8 enemies 4.5m around you for 100% damage while pushing them back 1.5m. If an enemy is affected by Frost Nova’s freeze effect, they will take 150% extra damage.
- Fire Tornado [required level: 17]
- Level 1: Consumes 40 SP. Create a fire tornado which moves forward 7.5m. Any enemies in its patch will be hit with 180% damage and will be burned, dealing 10% damage every second for 10 seconds.
- Thunder Whip [required level: 20]
- Level 1: Create a whip made of lightning, hitting up to 5 enemies within 7m and dealing 55% damage 2 times with an 80% chance to electrocute them for 2 seconds.
- Flame Burst [required level: 22]
- Level 1: Consumes 7 SP. Create a flame that explodes, hitting one enemy within 9m, dealing 70% damage. This skill will hit critically and if an enemy is affected by Fire Tornado’s damage over time, they will take 50% extra damage.
The Priest shares the teachings of God and was sent to the palace privately to help give emotional stability to others. With a divine aura, the Priest calms them and brightens their lives while staying at their sides.
Holding their Scepter infused with holy power and blessed scriptures given to them by God, in order to help bring the world salvation, many walk the path of the Priest. However, it is not easy as only those that are gifted with patience and unshakable serenity, as well as intelligence and quick judgement can meet the qualifications.
Weapon: Scepter (right hand), Spell Book (left hand)
Attributes: Holy, Fire
Stats: magic attack, maximum HP, critical chance
- Heaven’s Light [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Hit up to 3 enemies 8m in front of you with holy light, dealing 40% damage. If you successfully hit an enemy, heal 3 SP. After attacking, enemies will take 15% increased holy damage for 5 seconds.
- Holy Explosion [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Consumes 20 SP. Use your holy aura to create an explosion, hitting up to 8 enemies within 3m, dealing 100% damage. Enemies within 2m who were hit by Heaven’s Light will take an extra 80% damage.
- Holy Cross [required level: 12]
- Level 1: Summon a holy cross for 5 seconds. Every second, up to 8 enemies within 3m of the cross will take 20% damage and be pushed back 1m.
- Shield of Archon [required level: 14]
- Level 1: For 60 seconds, protect yourself with holy power, decreasing damage taken by 15%. Enemies around you will take 10% damage.
- Heal [required level: 15]
- Level 1: Consumes 15 SP. Heal 150% of your magic attack as HP for you and 3 other party members.
- Angel Ray [required level: 17]
- Level 1: Consumes 40 SP. Create a ray of holy energy, hitting enemies 12m in front of you for 300% damage. Allies within 1.5m of the ray will be healed for 100% of your magic attack.
- Strong Faith [required level: 18]
- Level 1: When your SP higher than 50%, you will deal 10% increased amage to monsters.
- Sanctuary [required level: 23]
- Level 1: Create a holy area (5 blocks parallel and perpendicular to your current block) for 10 seconds. Every second, enemies standing on the area will take 45% damage while allies standing on it will be healed for 75% of your magic attack.
Rangers are a part of the vigilante group called the Green Hoods, founded by the legendary archer Hastur. The Fifth Captain Oscar monitors Henesys and the surrounding area. Traia and Henesys are geologically close, and there is seemingly a relationship between the royal family and the Green Hoods. There is a rumour that they are related to the royal family and carry out unofficial activities in secret, but it has not been confirmed.
The cool and precise Rangers show an innocent look when dealing with animals, and they are always accompanied by their eagle friends.
Attributes: Physical, Fire, Ice
Stats: DEX, weapon attack, critical chance
- Strafe [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Shoot arrows at one enemy 9m in front of you, dealing 25% damage 3 times. If you hit an enemy successfully, heal 3 SP.
- Multi Shot [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Consumes 20 SP. Shoot arrows at up to 8 enemies 7m in front of you, dealing 120% damage. Enemies hit will be knocked back 0.5m.
- Ice Arrow [required level: 12]
- Level 1: Consumes 15 SP. Shoot an ice arrow 10.5m in front of you, dealing 80% damage 3 times. Enemies hit will have their movement speed decreased by 50% for 3 seconds.
- Evasion Shot [required level: 15]
- Level 1: Consumes 1 EP. Jump backwards 3m and shoot arrows forward, hitting up to 5 enemies for 10% damage 3 times.
- Rapid Shot [required level: 17]
- Level 1: Consumes 12 SP. Shoot a fire arrow, hitting enemies 9m in front of you for 50% damage. Holding down the skill key will continue the attack. Enemies hit will be burned and take 20% damage every second for 3 seconds.
- Golden Eagle [required level: 20]
- Level 1: Summon a golden eagle for 60 seconds. The eagle will wait for a command and while it is summoned, your DEX will be increased by 15%.
- Eagle Strike [required level: 20]
- Level 1: The golden eagle will soar 12m in front of you, hitting up to 8 enemies for 300% damage. Enemies hit will be stunned for 2 seconds. The golden eagle must be summoned to use this skill.
- Sharp Eyes [required level: 23]
- Level 1: Consumes 50 SP. Increase the critical rate of you and up to 5 allies within 3m by 5% for 180 seconds.
Although some people know about the Assassins, very little is known about their existence itself. However, it is obvious that after the world fell into chaos and the Dark Wind’s leader Wynn Steelton had died that immoral and inhumane events that were not a problem previously have been increasing steadily.
Recently, rumours were spread about the Dark Wind, which was led by Wynn Steelton, that they had secretly trained Assassins for immoral actions in the name of ‘justice’, and many people who were mourning for Wynn Steelton were shocked.
Weapon: Pair of Stars
Attributes: Physical, Fire, Ice
Stats: LUK, weapon attack, attack speed
- Lucky Seven [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Throw both hands’ stars at enemies 7m in front of you, dealing 35% damage each. The stars will then bounce to another enemy. If you successfully hit an enemy, heal 4 SP.
- Circle of Stars [required level: 10]
- Level 1: Consumes 20 SP. Throw a circle of stars, 4.5m around you, dealing 45% damage to enemies hit. This skill will the sum of your left hand’s stars and right hand’s.
- Boomerang Star [required level: 12]
- Level 1: Consumes 15 SP. Throw your right hand’s star forward 7.5m. The star will travel forward then return after a short period of time, dealing 70% damage 2 times to any enemies in its path.
- Dodge [required level: 14]
- Level 1: Consumes 2 EP. Quickly move 3m in one direction.
- Clone: Shadow Web [required level: 15]
- Level 1: Consumes 10 SP. Summon a shadow clone at your current ocation and move backwards 3m. After 1 second, the clone will explode, dealing 10% damage on up to 5 enemies around it. Enemies hit will take 5% damage every second for 5 seconds and their movement speed will be decreased by 55%.
- Star Burst [required level: 15]
- Level 1: Consumes 40 SP. Throw your left hand’s stars once then your right hand’s stars forward 9m, dealing 180% damage each on up to 8 enemies. Enemies with a Death Mark will take 80% additional damage and the Mark will disappear.
- Fatal Attack [required level: 23]
- Level 1: Find your enemies’ weak spots, your attacks will critically strike for the next 4 seconds.
- Dark Sight [required level: 25]
- Level 1: Conceal yourself in the shadows for 30 seconds. While hiding, your movement speed will be decreased by 40% and every 0.3 seconds you will heal 1 SP. Hitting an enemy will instantly remove the Dark Sight effect.
Thanks to 엘리스 of Insoya for the pictures of the skills above!